Some of my favorite posts in blogland are round-ups of goings on in people’s lives, especially when accompanied by photos. I’ve been meaning to start a weekly series for ages, so I can document all the little things in my own week. Finally I was able to plan it out!
I’m going to call my new weekly round-up series “Made and Making”, and aim for Friday postings. I’ll share snapshots from my week that relate to things I’ve made (outfits including me-made items new and old, meals, newly completed projects, hairstyles I’m trying out, etc), or things I’m making (knitting, sewing, gardening, home decorating, etc). Snapshots, Instagram pics, you get the idea—you’ve seen it everywhere, now you’ll see it here. lol The number of photos will vary. I’ll probably be a little liberal with this “made and making” concept though, so I may sneak in a snap now and again just because. 😉
So without further ado…
1. Ruffles on my sundress. We had a very warm spell earlier in the week, and I can now attest to the wearability of cotton lawn in warm weather with my new sundress. I might have thought this fabric was a pain to work with, but it’s a joy to wear. But this begs the question: why don’t I own any cotton slips any longer?! I think I need to change that, stat.
2. Strawberries and cream.We joined a CSA a couple of weeks ago. For those unfamiliar, that stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Once a week we now get a delivery of fresh organic produce from a farm in southern Wisconsin. It’s just now strawberry season, and we feasted Wednesday night on strawberries with fresh whipped cream. My recipe is from a 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook: with chilled beaters and bowl, beat 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream with 2 Tbsp. confectioner’s (powdered) sugar until thick and creamy. I added in a little vanilla extract, too. Yum!
3. Me-made outfit and a wave. You never see me without glasses because I haven’t had contacts in years. I achieved a perfect wave in my bangs, although it’s not a style I find practical because I always want my hair out of my face. So it was an accidental styling. In this snap I’m wearing me-made earrings I finished this week from 50s cabochons, and a me-made feedsack blouse, one of the first pieces of clothing I ever made for myself, about 2 years ago. It has some serious issues, but I still wear it now and again.. under a cardigan. 😉
4. My first harvest of radishes! I am so exciting to finally have a little yard!! I’m growing radishes from seeds. I pulled the first one out Tuesday and got a whole bunch Thursday. It’s so satisfying!
5. My current sewing project, another 1940s dress. I’m using a fun apple tree print in Japanese cotton. I’ve had very little time to work on it this week, but I hope next week I’ll make some headway.
6. A gorgeous vintage fabric for an upcoming tutorial. Part of why I’ve had no time for my dress! I’ll be sharing a fun little project early next week. I’m very excited about it, so stay tuned!
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!