I finally got photos of my first sewing project of 2011. It was a project I started last year. In fact, it was the last sewing project I touched last year. I am now not 100% sure why I tossed it to the side, but I know one reason was due to a beginner’s error of not remembering that if you don’t clip corners of an angle before trying to turn it, it’s going to be lumpy and weird looking and you’re going to think you did something wrong.
I hope I can gain confidence with every new project this year. This was a good start. The fact that I returned to it several months after shoving it in the closet was amazing in its own right. The fact that I then finished it—well, the world may have tilted on its axis just a wee bit.
It was an Advance pattern. I can’t remember the number as I’m not home, but I just barely showed a picture of it in my post when I was explaining about pin basting the sleeves.
It’s a button-down blouse with a one-piece collar. (And oh, how I loved working on that collar compared to my current project.) It’s supposed to have a little self-fabric tie for a scarf around your neck, but really, I’m not in Girl Scouts. Not happening.
I’m pleased with the final result (though I was wrong when I said it buttons high enough to cover my tattoos at work, it really doesn’t but a higher button next time would work). It fits a bit like a camp shirt since there weren’t any darts or tucks on the body except bust darts, but it’s the type of blouse I’d usually wear tucked in anyway.
You can’t really tell from the photos, but the sleeve cuffs are turned back. That’s about the only thing I’d change in the future. I like the turned back look but the amount of extra sleeve fabric the pattern called for was ridiculous. I’m not sure why I didn’t chop off several inches, but I didn’t, so the cuff is a little bit stiff from the extra fabric. Depending on how it washes, I may go back and re-do that part, but I’m leaving it for now.
And this is the perfect type of blouse for me. The type of thing I wear 90% of the time.